Garlic Cheddar Biscuits are a family favorite around here. We LOVE to have them with most any meal. I couldn’t imagine completing the Crunchy Trail: Hike to Health Challenge without at least a few bread options.
ALL posts on this blog may contain affiliate links or links to my direct sales websites. This is because there is a monthly fee to run this blog and it costs time to keep it going. You are not required to click on any links, but if you do THANK YOU!! You are helping to support my blogging habit.
These are super simple to make and taste almost exactly like all the Red Lobster spin-offs you find floating around the internet. The dough needs to be wet and water added to make them light and fluffy. I find my Pampered Chef Brownie Pan gives the best crust results and keeps the biscuits “formed”.
These can easily be made dairy free by using coconut milk and vinegar instead of buttermilk . To do this just add 1 tablespoon of vinegar to each cup of coconut milk. Also use a dairy free cheddar cheese substitute.
I also like to brush the tops with a little garlic butter just as they come out of the oven.
This is another one of those hard to mess up recipes. Just make sure the dough is very wet; nearly muffin batter consistency and that you make them with LOVE and they will be perfect.
These biscuits turned out AMAZINGLY well. My crew is use to good old fashioned southern white flour biscuits with fluffy middles and crunchy bottoms. They were actually well pleased with this recipe (it came after several failed attempts) They are of course a tad more dense than regular white flour biscuits but they were still fluffy and delicious. The trick is making it more toward a batter and less of a dough. Adding water helps create steam and gives them that fluffy, airy texture we have come to expect in biscuits.
- 2 1/2 Cups Gluten Free All Purpose Flour Mix
- 1/2 Cup Golden Flaxseed Meal
- 3 Tbs Aluminum Free Baking Powder
- 1 tsp mineral salt
- Pinch of baking soda
- 1 Tbs of garlic powder or to taste
- 2 Tbs butter or lard
- Fresh Raw Buttermilk (or sub coconut milk with 2 Tablespoons per cup of vinegar added)
- Couple of handfuls of shredded cheddar cheese
- These will be drop biscuit consistency. I have not yet found a gluten free recipe that makes good cut out biscuits.
- Preheat oven to 450
- Add all dry ingredients into a sifter and sift into a large mixing bowl.
- Add in softened butter or lard and cut in until crumbly
- Make a well in the center of the mix
- Add buttermilk until dough is quite sticky, just a little thicker than muffin batter (gluten free must be wetter than normal biscuit dough or they will be heavy and dense)
- Add a few tablespoons of water
- Fold in Shredded cheddar
- Spoon ingredients into greased muffin pan or shallow cake pan. I find my Pampered Chef Brownie pan makes the BEST crunchy bottom, fluffy center biscuits.
- Bake until tops are brown and center is done, about 15 minutes
ALL posts on this blog may contain affiliate links or links to my direct sales websites. This is because there is a monthly fee to run this blog and it costs time to keep it going. You are not required to click on any links, but if you do THANK YOU!! You are helping to support my blogging habit. (I would say my family but so far I haven’t even made enough to pay 1 month of blogging fees.) Thanks for stopping by and feel free to use my links or pass them along to friends. All help is greatly appreciated.